Director of Immigration Legal Services
JOB TITLE: Director of Immigration Legal Services
FLSA DUTIES STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Clinical and Legal Services
JOB OBJECTIVE: The Director of the Immigration Legal Services Department (ILS Director) will establish and provide effective management and oversight for all operational and strategic services and programs offered by the Immigration Legal Services Department (ILS) of Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City (CCAOKC). The ILS Director will ensure that the legal services provided to ILS clients by ILS employees are provided in a professional, ethical, quality and timely manner. Additionally, the ILS Director will personally maintain a reasonable caseload and will directly provide quality legal services to potential clients through assessing their eligibility for family-based immigration benefits and, if such benefits are available, by representing them before applicable Federal agencies or court systems.
The essential job duties include but are not limited to:
- Strict compliance with all applicable ethical and confidentiality standards, rules and regulations. Admitted to and licensed by the state bar of Oklahoma or of another state(s), which license must be maintained in good standing at all times.
- Upon request of CCAOKC’s Senior Director of Clinical and Legal Services (Legal Services Senior Director) or its Senior Director or Administration or its Executive Director, provide CCAOKC with such proof of Good Standing as requested by CCAOKC. Immediately notify the Legal Services Senior Director of any complaint or grievance made against the ILS Director by an ILS client or any inquiry, investigation, complaint or otherwise made, instituted or formally brought by an applicable state or federal bar licensing body relating to any alleged ethics violations by the ILS Director.
- Strict compliance with all CCAOKC policies and procedures applicable to ILS or to the ILS Director.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding and knowledge of all ILS policies, procedures and practices, including without limitation the scope of the use of client program software and periodically review and, with the approval of the Legal Services Senior Director, amend them, as necessary.
- As required from time to time by CCAOKC, prepare, plan and monitor budgets for ILS in coordination with the Legal Services Senior Director.
- As required by CCAOKC, prepare, plan and monitor strategic plans for ILS in coordination with the Legal Services Senior Director and, as appropriate, with ILS staff.
- Develop and implement a plan for the ongoing supervision and evaluation of all ILS employees.
- Develop and implement a plan for the ongoing training of all ILS employees regarding the then current policies, procedures and practices of ILS and the legal issues relating thereto.
- On an ongoing basis, in coordination with and the approval of the Legal Services Senior Director, recommend plans for the hiring and supervision of additional staff and/or the delegation of duties of the ILS Director to other employees of ILS and/or the reduction or realignment of ILS staff as appropriate.
- Timely prepare and submit all required reports required by CCAOKC or its funding sources relating to ILS.
- Keep informed about national and local immigration issues relevant to the legal services provided by ILS.
- Develop, prepare and conduct or oversee legal services outreach and education programs on family based legal immigration issues for presentation to community and stakeholder groups or for presentation or through social media as approved by the Legal Services Senior Director. Although the ILS Director position is based in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, travel and overnight stays may be required from time to time.
- Research and identify grant or other funding opportunities which may benefit the clients of ILS.
- Timely prepare and submit and/or review all required applications, legal documents and other applicable forms on behalf of clients of ILS.
- Interview and screen potential clients of ILS to assess their eligibility for family-based immigration benefits and, if such benefits are available, represent them before applicable Federal agencies or court systems.
- Perform and/or direct thorough and accurate legal research of legal issues arising within the scope of the legal services provided by ILS.
- Represent clients of ILS in removal proceeding and other hearings before Immigration Courts as may be determined from time to time by the ILS Director in consultation with the Legal Services Senior Director.
- Facilitate and monitor regular case file reviews with ILS staff as may be required by agencies accrediting CCAOKC or as is otherwise generally required by best practices.
- Participate in monthly meetings of the CCAOKC Department Directors and serve on such interdisciplinary teams or committees of CCAOKC, as appropriate and as approved by the Legal Services Senior Director.
- Subject to the approval of the Legal Services Senior Director and as otherwise appropriate, participate in professional associations relating to the services offered by ILS and coordinate and collaborate with other organizations relevant to the work performed by ILS.
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Legal Services Senior Director.
This position may supervise attorneys, accredited representatives, legal assistants, and office staff.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- Juris Doctorate degree.
- Admitted to and licensed by the state bar of Oklahoma or of another state(s), which license must be maintained in good standing at all times.
- Fluent in the reading, writing and speaking Spanish.
- A minimum of three years of experience in providing family-based immigration legal services under the INA and related statutes, rules and regulations.
- Significant experience in the management or coordination of professional and/or clerical staff involved in the providing of legal services under the INA and related statutes, rules and regulations.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication, listening, and presentation skills.
- Strong flexible interpersonal skills required to interact effectively with employees and managers at all levels in the organization.
- Excellent organizational skills required to ensure that multiple tasks receive adequate and timely attention.
- Ability to supervise a diverse group of employees.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
- Strong legal analysis skills.
- Ability to adjust communication style to handle effectively diverse situations.
- Strong attention to detail and good problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of and ability to utilize the Internet, Westlaw, client program software, and Microsoft Office as needed to perform functions of the position.
- Able to function autonomously and be proactive.
- PC literate and proficient.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSThis is sedentary work that requires the following physical activities:
- Sitting for long periods of time, walking, finger dexterity, feeling, repetitive motions, talking, hearing, and visual acuity.
- Occasional lifting (up to 10 pounds of computer equipment or paper supplies).
- May be required to travel by car or plane to business events or other company locations. Travel may require prolonged sitting or standing.
- Accommodation may be made for some of these physical demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
- Normal office environment.
- May be subjected to fast-paced decision making, crisis situations.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign job duties as required. This job description is not to be construed as a guaranteed contract of employment for a definite period of time.